The great men

The Count Albert de Mun

Born in 1844, Count de Mun is the founder of the social Catholicism movement and current landlords’ great great grandfather. In 1938, his granddaughter, Simone de Vogüé acquires the castle. Today, the castle is owned by Count de Vogüé’s offspring.

During the visit, mementos such as prayer books, books and prints belonging to the great men who inhabited the castle are displayed.

GUY DE MAUPASSANT

Guy de Maupassant is a Norman writer, born in the castle on August 5th, 1850. His parents, the castle’s tenants, stayed for 4 years. Some documents regarding Maupassant’s birth are available for review such as his birth certificate and a letter from his mother.

Even though Maupassant moved away when he was 3-years old, he later wrote a short story ‘The Meeting’, where he refers to Miromesnil street, a meeting place for Madame Haggan and the handsome Count de Martelet, her lover.

LA FAMILLE HUE

In the 17th century, The Hue and the Dyel families unite and become the “Hue of Miromesnil”. The most famous family member, Armand Thomas Hue, was born in 1723 on the Latigny lands. In 1757, he was appointed first president of the Rouen parliament.

In 1771, as parliaments are axed, a reform to which the marquis is opposed, Armand Thomas Hue withdraws to Miromesnil. At the suggestion of the Count de Maurepas, Louis XVI names him Minister of Justice. His name remains connected to the abolition of the Preparatory Question (the last torture before the execution of the prisoners).

During the French Revolution, he offers to help defend Louis XVI. He is arrested by the public salvation committee and sent to prison. Freed, he goes into exile on his land of Miromesnil and dies there in 1796.

Les "3 M" de Miromesnil

Armand Thomas Hue